Monday, October 27, 2008

Climbed Any Mountains Lately? (TWIM)

(Written for students when I taught music appreciation classes at a Houston elementary school)

I looked so high above, as far as I could see

Was a mountain so high it overpowered me

It's peak not seen by my naked eye

I said to myself, "it must touch the sky!"


It was so wide, as wide can be

To go around would take eternity

Here this mountain stood; in my way it would be

For I could not go forward 'til I put it behind me.


"I've got to do this," to myself I said,

And started to climb, my heart filled with dread.

For I knew deep within I didn't have a chance

Of getting to the top; I could tell at a glance.


But just a short distance away, I saw a little ridge

I could reach in only a day.

"I'll go just that far, then stop there and see

Just how much closer to the top I will be."


So away I went, looking forward to see

Only as far as my first destiny.

I reached the little ridge, sat down with a sigh

And looked ahead to see where my next stop might lie.


There it is; I can see it well

I'll make that one -- easily! I could very well tell.

So this is the way it will have to be

To reach the top, I now clearly see.


For the goals we set, difficult as we may believe

If we take one step at a time, will be possible to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment