Monday, June 6, 2011

14 June 1998

Today is 6 June 2011.  The title of this little piece --- 13 years ago --- is the date on a letter written to the person who is still, unfortunately, supposed to be my Congressional representative.  I just happened on this little letter when I was doing a search of archives for stuff related to Sarcoidosis.  It is galling, even 13 years later, that no response was ever received to this little note.  Here it is, unedited:

Dear Congresswoman Lee:

About six months ago I completed and returned to your office a form to facilitate your assistance with my obtaining disability benefits from Social Security.  Since then, I have had a hearing before an administrative judge (in mid-March).  Around that time someone from your office called me (according to my caller ID device), but left no message.  When I attempted to ascertain who it may have been, I believe I was given the name of Ms. Hubbard in your Acres Home office.  The one time she spoke with me she informed me that I was not on the voter registration rolls.  This happens not to be true, as I am listed on the voter registration rolls as Andrea Hoxie Richards, which was my name before I married in 1996.  Not only am I a registered voter, but I seldom miss fulfilling my duty to vote.  Still, this should mean nothing as my residence is in your district, and I am therefore one of your constituents and entitled to request your assistance.  As of the writing of this letter I have heard nothing from your office, even after I spoke with one of your former employees who advised me that she sent Ms. Hubbard e-mail asking her to contact me regarding my request for your assistance.

Recently I received an unfavorable decision from Administrative Law Judge Clifford A. Leinberger, a very coarse, crude and intimidating (or so he attempted to be) man.  According to Judge Leinberger, I have never been disabled over the past two years – even when I could not do anything at all for myself – when my husband had to literally take me out of bed and into the bathroom – when I could not walk because my feet were three times their normal size – when I had insufficient stamina to raise a brush to my hair.  

I cannot help but wonder what kind of system we have when I have worked all of my adult life and have had my earnings literally taken away from me to contribute to a system that seems to support everyone except the people who support it  – and have no representation besides.

Perhaps now, folks who read this will understand (1) the gagging noise I make when I hear the Congresswoman's name; (2) why I had to fight the temptation to overrun her in my Jeep as she stood in the middle of Pannell Street, across from Pleasant Hill Baptist Church, on the evening of African Warrior Bud Johnson's wake (I miss sparring with Bud); and (3) why I pray fervently for some competent person to run against her and for folks to take their heads out of the sand (or wherever they are) and vote against her.  Of course, she has been busy:  stumping for the late Robert Byrd (God rest his soul), canonizing Michael Jackson (God rest his soul as well), and schmoozing President Obama after backing Mrs. Clinton.  

On this subject, I believe I have said enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment