Monday, August 31, 2009

Sarcoidosis -- Part III: Why Talk About it Now?

Why not? I know -- you have your hands full with cancer, and HIV AIDS and muscular dystrophy and multiple sclerosis. I understand. I've lost folks to cancer, AIDS, and muscular dystrophy. I know folks with multiple sclerosis. But since being diagnosed with Sarcoidosis 13 years ago, I have met scores of folks in my tiny little circle who either have it, knows someone who has it, or lost someone because of it.

After being diagnosed I learned how little research had been done about Sarcoidosis. It was not until four or five years ago that it was learned how this "orphan" disease, having been discovered more than 200 years ago, functions. It simply does not have widespread popularity and support. And because of the difficulty in properly diagnosing it, there are most likely lots of people who have suffered from it, even for years, without knowing why they feel so crappy all of the time. (From the first "S" book I read, I recall the story of a woman whose doctor told her she would feel better if she stopped being so lazy and got a little exercise. It was 15 years before she was properly diagnosed.)

Finally, while I hope these little snippets have raised awareness of the disease, I want to invite you, and the folks with whom you share this blog (and if you never share my blogs, please share just this one), to participate in a Sarcoidosis walk for a cure. The walk is scheduled for October 24, 2009. Please copy and paste this link into your browser's address window for more information: http://www.jsof.org/events.html

Or contact me.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment