Thursday, August 6, 2009

Entitlements -- Part II

Part I of this writing mentioned Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, a massive work of fiction, which I finished listening to yesterday evening. While the book is a work of fiction, it is very much grounded into reality. It is also one of the reasons I started this series on Entitlements. Another reason, the catalyst that exploded my sense of NOW, was a CNN story posted by a Facebook friend (thanks, Phyllis T), about a young woman who is suing her college/university for $70,000 tuition and $2,000 for emotional suffering, because she ("the Graduate") has been unable to find a job after graduating.


When I first heard of the Graduate's story and read, presumably in or own hand, her accounting of why she is suing for $72,000, my mind was bombarded with so many questions. My sensibilities were outraged. And, I was embarrassed, in the same way that whenever the previous POTUS (Bush 43) opened his mouth to speak, I would cringe. After all, what school GUARANTEES any student a job? And to what kind of job, if any, does the Graduate feel she is entitled?


For years there has been some trend afoot: a conspiracy to reward mediocrity as the best one has to offer. My father called that "hitting it a lick and a promise."



to be continued.





No comments:

Post a Comment