Sunday, August 2, 2009

Come to the Table, But Leave Your Favorite Dish at Home

Here we are in 2009, decades after the Civil Rights Movement and all of what that means to all people, regardless of hue. So, what's the rub? Well, let me tell you of at least one. It is one thing to be allowed to come and go as one pleases, to attend whatever school one wants (that is, if one meets the entrance requirements), to worship wherever and with whomever, and to be welcomed wherever, but there are instances in which the welcome does not reach the height, depth, or core of being truly received with gladness.


What would you think if you were told to come to a potluck meal, but don't bother bringing anything to share with others? You know that your pound cake is the best this side of the river, the pork loin of others could never hold a candle to yours, and your mustard greens are the tastiest, tenderest, and best to be had anywhere on the continent. Or --- what if, like most, your food dishes are palatable and passable, but not the ultimate in culinary delights -- just like those of most everyone else? You would still want to contribute, wouldn't you? Or would you be comfortable feeding at trough to which you have offered nothing?


Or ... what if you were invited to a meeting where you were allowed to speak, and others listened, but did not hear? Your ideas were not theirs, so they did not merit discussion. Would you want to go to the meeting? Is it enough to be a fly on the wall? I think not.


What if you have invited someone to your home for a gathering of like-minded folks? What of that person would you say he/she should not bring? Her food? His music? What, then, would you say to your invitee? Don't bring your famous chocolate chip cookies. I’ll have someone else bake some. Yes, I know yours are different. Yes, I know about the blended oatmeal that gives them a slightly different taste and the shredded coconut that keeps them moist and chewy. But that's okay, we really don't need anything different. Yes, I know your ribs are so tender and tasty that they fall off their bones with only your thoughts to command them -- even before you pick them up, and one really doesn't need to douse them with sauce, but rather can eat them naked because their flavor is so pleasing, but that's okay, we'll do without. Oh, by the way, don't bring your music -- I'll have someone else do yours. What was that? We don't do yours the way you do? Well, of course we don't; but still . . . we really don't need to do anything your way, now do we? What was that? You want me to step outside my box? Why? Because you stepped way outside yours? What of it -- that you stepped outside of your box? Aren't you the richer for it? I glad you agree that you are. Besides, you had to -- you were suppoesd to. It was you who had to meet me where I am!


Okay. I have met you where you are. You have made a place for my body in your home. Now, I challenge you: make a place for my mind, my spirit, my talents and my God-given gifts. You will find that while they may not smack of the precision and excellence you value, they are offered in a perfection that transcends those superficialities, that perfection of being at peace with doing the best I can with what God has given me. Only His assessment of my offering matters; no other assessment is worthy of mention.



No comments:

Post a Comment