Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Welcome to South Main Baptist Church

Title: Welcome to South Main Baptist Church
Link: http://www.smbc.org/

A couple of months ago I was reminded of why I chose to become a member of a particular congregation. We sometimes refer to ourselves as the family of God in this place. This place is our campus -- where we meet for worship, to learn, to fellowship, and to celebrate weddings and new babies and souls gone on with beautiful memorial services that celebrate life. We dedicate babies and commit to supporting their nurture, growth and development. We baptize new believers. We pray with an for each other and others. We encourage and commission missionaries who go near and far to spread the Gospel of Jesus. We have fun and food -- fun for the entire family and food that is consistently good.


About 11 years ago I started going to worship at the 8:30 service at that place when I still held leadership positions in music ministry. That was my hour of worship, unencumbered by worry or wondering -- whether "she" would properly execute her solo, or if "he" would be on time, or whether the drummer would be too loud -- too fast -- too slow -- or too much. Some percussionists don't understand that they are most often accompanists for the accompanists (primary instruments [piano and organ]), who are accompanying the real messengers -- the singers. In that hour I was free to commune with God and His family in that place.


It turned out that the family of God in that place are really nice folks. They not only speak to strangers, but do so with a smile, a firm handshake, a pat on the arm or shoulder or back, a real greeting, a there's a seat up there -- it's a little closer -- do you want to come up? kind of invitation. The kinds of smiles, handshakes and invitations that say we're really glad you're here. While I am pitiful about remembering names, there were faces that had become familiar to me, and to whom mine had become familiar as well. Okay, you're probably asking how do you know your face became familiar to them? Well, it's like this: miss a couple of Sundays and then go back. The welcome to South Main greetings are tossed in favor of it's so good to see you again.


When I left music ministry in 2003 I visited a few churches closer to my home, but on that first Sunday in April 2003 I went back to that place where I had been welcomed so frequently. I have been there since. I cannot say unequivocally that there is no other place like it because I have not been to all of God's places. What I can say is there is none other that I know. Yes, ourplace is a nice campus that's well cared for. But what makes our place special is not the campus layout or the buildings, but the family.


So what happened? I'll spare you the gory details. After having written this, the unpleasant incident is no longer remembered. And I continue to visit my place, commune with my family, have a little dinner, then prayer, Bible study and choir rehearsal. That incident is nothing more than an inconsequential blink on the spectrum of eternity.


So, why revise and repost this blog today? Well, I'm glad you asked. I was out of town this past Sunday, and I just visited our website and looked at the Sunday worship guide. I missed being at our place and thought of it as I arrived at the airport about the time I should be taking my seat in the choir loft. What I now know is that I missed some really special stuff: our former pastor returned to the pulpit to share a message, the hymns that were sung are among my most favorite, and a truly brilliant pianist played an arrangement of Amazing Grace. He and his beautiful family will be greatly missed, but I'm sure they know there will always be room for them in our place.

No comments:

Post a Comment