Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Like a Bad Penny: Sarcoidosis Update

I am out of remission. That in itself is nothing new. Since being declared "symptom free" of Sarcoidosis in January 1998, I have regularly phased in and out of remission every year. Talk about showing up like a bad penny, it never really goes away. This time, however, is different. The pain is just a hair on the wrong side of unbearable, and my legs have become undependable. I'm trying to decide if I need to buy a walking stick (I went so long without using mine that I gave away both).

This past Sunday I stopped at the H.E.B. on Westheimer @ Fountainview. Prudence prevailed over my being self-conscience, so I used a mart cart, which I drove through the checkout and onto the parking lot next to my Jeep. A woman who appeared to be of sufficient age to be my mother (for the record, I am 55) offered to help me with my one bag in the parking lot of H.E.B. on Westheimer @ Fountain View!!! While it was really sweet of her to offer, that made me wonder am I really moving that poorly? Still, I am more fortunate than many who live with this so-called "orphan" disease.

So, why am I bringing this up again? I could get argumentative and ask would you say that if the subject was some other, more popular disease? Instead, I'll just reply thusly: Simple. There are some events coming up to highlight Sarcoidosis and raise funds to support related research, and I want to share them with you. So here they are ---

Janine Sarcoidosis Outreach Foundation will be a guest on KPFT 90.1 FM Radio's October 18, 2009, Panafrican Journal program at 8:05 p.m. KPFT is a media sponsor of the Janine Sarcoidosis Outreach Foundation.

On Wednesday, October 21, 2009, the honorary guest for the Janine Sarcoidosis Outreach Foundation's 5th Annual Walk for a Cure, Dr. Marc A Judson of the University South Carolina Medical Center's Sarcoidosis Clinic, will be a guest on KPFT 90.1's Connect the Dots Program, from 3:30 to 3:45 pm. (Note to the fabulous Texas Medical Center: how about a Sarcoidosis clinic for Houston?)

On October 14, 2009, the Houston Texas Sarcoidosis Support Group will be audience members for the live taping of of KHOU 11 TV's Great Day Houston program with Debra Duncan.

October 24, 2009, the 5th Annual Sarcoidosis Walk for a Cause and Cure will take place in Houston Texas. There will be a special appearance by the awesome jazz saxophonist, Rachella Parks, who has had three hip replacements due to Sarcoidosis complications. You can get more information about the walk by clicking here: http://www.jsof.org/events.html

I invite you to tune in to learn more about Sarcoidosis, and for those of you who can, participate in the "walk" -- something that I had hoped to do this year. If the walk took place today I could not. But -- there's always tomorrow.

Tomorrow might be better.

1 comment:

  1. Another good article! I like the way you think and the way you can write on a page what is in a lot of other people's heads.(mine included)
    I also like the way you didn't fall into the other diseases are more "popular" trap. Because it is REALLY easy to say that and someone else might not understand what people mean when it is said. Wow! that was a mouthful.
    Great post. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete