Monday, July 20, 2009

It's Not in Your Incantations

For too long I have suffered through e-mails from well-intended folks (at least on the surface they appear to be), badgering and bullying me to 1) read it (if we can take the time to read long jokes, stories, etc., we should give the same respect to this prayer); and 2) share it (forward this to 20 people). As I scan the message, written in various colors and a 40 pt. typeface, I see that the writer prays for 1) those who will delete it without passing it on; and 2) those who do not believe. And then the writer thanks God that he/she believes. And for a final flourish, the writer then says "Don't ignore this and God will bless you."

Well, I confess. I deleted it. I did not share it. I suppose, though, that since a discusssion of "it" is the introductory paragraph of this writing, I cannot say I ignored it. Perhaps I am disqualified because my not ignoring it adheres to the letter of the admonition, but not its spirit.

To the well-intentioned folks who send this stuff, please understand that:
  1. many folks receive literally HUNDREDS of e-mails everyday, and many of them merely scan the subject matter or a little snippet to see if it merits a thorough reading. No offense, but there are only so many hours in the day and only so much of it can be devoted to reading e-mails that, for folks like me, are not work or business related;
  2. if your emails are not shared as you wish them to be, that does not mean you are not loved;
  3. if your emails are not shared as you wish them to be, that does not mean the recipient does not love God;
  4. if your emails are not shared as you wish them to be, that does not mean they are not appreciated;
  5. no incantations suggested in your emails are magic words that will make the remainder of anyone's life rosey. It is not in the "rosey" that we achieve anything --rather, it is the labor of violent changes and how we adapt to them or transcend them that matters. While the prayers of the righteous availeth much, faith without work does not cut it.
As for this writer, I am blessed beyond measure by the mere fact that I woke up this morning. My prayers each night, regardless of what other content there may be, always end with "help me keep my home, and bless me so that I may be a blessing to others." The remaining content of my prayers, as is this standard, is whatever comes from my heart.

Well, what am I saying? Just this: God knows your heart. Speak to Him from your heart. If you get in a tight squeeze (as I was earlier this year), and cannot form the words to say to Him, He still knows your heart. But if it will help you, call a friend and ask him/her to pray for you. And if you cannot find anyone, call me.





2 comments:

  1. Adrea, I couldnt have said it better myself. Now those same emails are finding their way into the cell phone text messages.

    Not only do I not have time to read, forward, or contemplate these types of emails, I too believe that no incantations suggested in emails, are magic words that will make the remainder of anyone's life rosey.

    My God is an awesome God.

    Thanks for the insight.

    emma

    ReplyDelete